Mzbel shared a much circulated post on Facebook, which supposedly shows the words of actor Robert Powell, who played the eponymous character in ‘Jesus of Nazareth’, decrying the widespread use of his image from the movie as representative of Jesus in so many churches.
She prefixed the post with ‘lack of knowledge’- suggesting that theological ignorance has led many believers to be worshipping a man from a movie as if he was Jesus himself.
This criticism is not new, and is not restricted to Robert Powell. Jesus, if he ever lived, was a Jew in first century Palestine- and is therefore highly unlikely to have looked anything like the Caucasian Jesus mostly portrayed in religious art.
Mzbel, born Belinda Nana Ekua Amoah, has made no bones of the fact that she believes the story of Jesus was made up. In an appearance on Restoration that later caused all sorts of controversies, she said that the Jesus story bore close resemblance to the ancient Egyptian tale of Horus (a statement of fact), and she therefore believed the gospels to be a plagiarised myth.
It’s important to note, though, that Mzbel is not an atheist- she does believe in God, just not in his virgin born, turning water into wine son.
Read her post below…
LACK OF KNOWLEDGE…
“I AM NOT JESUS CHRIST —– Robert Powell the Jesus character in the film Jesus of Nazareth says ”I am not Jesus Christ, I am just an actor and a British comedian, I am hurt and tired of seeing my photos displayed in places of worship and others worship and pray to me, I just made a film for a living, so people should stop loving and praying to Me, burn my pictures, repent from your sins, live Righteously and worship the only God in truth who can only be found in your heart and bible”
- 20 January 2017 : Awal x Tutulapato -Stole Way (Prod by Tombeatz )
- 19 January 2017 : SHATTA WALE – MY GUY (PROD BY WILLIES BEATZ)
- 18 January 2017 : Luther – Deportee
- 18 January 2017 : Oteneba – Sexy Mama ft. Tuba Zaks (Prod By Drraybeat)
- 18 January 2017 : Wisa Greid – Mintse Bo (I Like Your Style)
- 18 January 2017 : Scata Bada – Chelensa (Prod by QwesiKing)
- 18 January 2017 : OB feat Mr Eazi – Be My Wife (Prod by Killbeatz)
- 18 January 2017 : Pope Skinny – Can You (Prod By Da Maker)
- 18 January 2017 : Koo Ntakra – Girls ft. Yaa Pono (Prod. By HypeLyrix)
- 18 January 2017 : Donzy – Boame (Prod. By Undabeatz) (Prod By Kuslin)