Gambia music maestro, Sona Jobarteh will jet into Accra this weekend to headline an event dubbed, “Nouveau Afrique” slated for the deluxe Best Western Hotel.
The singer and her band, made up of Kari Bannerman on electric guitar, Kyazi Lugangira on acoustic guitar, Mamadou Sarr on African percussion, Alexander Boateng on drums and Andi Mclean on bass, will perform to special guests at the event on Saturday, May 21.
The quasi-soiree will also witness musical performances by the almighty OBY Band led by Keyboardist, Kwame Yeboah with vocal support from Ofie Kodjoe.
“There will be auctioning of hand made Koras by Sona Jobarteh. The show is scheduled to run from 7pm to 9pm. Two hours of top eclectic performances,” said Kwame Farkye, a member of the organising team.
This is not the first time the well-travelled Kora virtuoso will perform in Ghana as she had played at gigs attended by revered public figures such as Otumfuo Osei Tutu II and former President Jerry John Rawlings, who gave her a standing ovation for her sterling performance.
In a recent chat with the ravishing singer, she said she was happy to be playing in Ghana again with her band for the first time in the country.
Sona Jobarteh is an European-born of Gambian extraction, and strongly identifies with the latter (her African heritage). Having spent significant time in both England and the Gambia, she blends different musical styles, from both the European and West African traditions.
As a multi-instrumentalist, singer, composer and producer, Sona has collaborated with musicians across the globe such as Oumou Sangaré, Kasse Mady Diabaté, Toumani Diabaté and the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
Come Saturday at the Best Western Hotel, the Gambian singer will once again demonstrate to patrons why she’s nonpareil in the world.
- 20 January 2017 : Awal x Tutulapato -Stole Way (Prod by Tombeatz )
- 19 January 2017 : SHATTA WALE – MY GUY (PROD BY WILLIES BEATZ)
- 18 January 2017 : Luther – Deportee
- 18 January 2017 : Oteneba – Sexy Mama ft. Tuba Zaks (Prod By Drraybeat)
- 18 January 2017 : Wisa Greid – Mintse Bo (I Like Your Style)
- 18 January 2017 : Scata Bada – Chelensa (Prod by QwesiKing)
- 18 January 2017 : OB feat Mr Eazi – Be My Wife (Prod by Killbeatz)
- 18 January 2017 : Pope Skinny – Can You (Prod By Da Maker)
- 18 January 2017 : Koo Ntakra – Girls ft. Yaa Pono (Prod. By HypeLyrix)
- 18 January 2017 : Donzy – Boame (Prod. By Undabeatz) (Prod By Kuslin)