Scores of women in the Eastern Region are demanding the immediate dismissal of Assin Central legislator, Kennedy Agyapong from Parliament, for alleging that the Chair of the Electoral Commission (EC) got her job by giving sexual favours.
At a demonstration on Thursday, the women, many of whom are known members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), said they will petition the Speaker of Parliament to take immediate action against the Parliamentarian.
“We are sending a signal to Kennedy Agyapong, I don’t want to call him honourable, the women in this Region are pissed because he is always insulting women. His insulting behaviour towards women is becoming unbecoming. That is why we are demonstrating against him,” said the leader of the agitating women, Evelyn Korang.
Mr Agyapong has been severely criticized since alleging at a mini New Patriotic Party (NPP) rally that the EC Chair, Charlotte Osei, traded sex for the position she occupies.
Gender and Social Protection Minister, Nana Oye Lithur and Foreign Affairs Minister, Hannah Tetteh, have called on the Member of Parliament to retract the comments and apologize.
The Ghana Bar Association (GBA) has also condemned the comments by the MP.
Mr Agyapong is notorious for making inflammatory and controversial comments.
Led by the NDC Regional Women Organiser, Evelyn Korang, about 500 women in the Eastern Region say the MP is not fit to be a member of Ghana’s Parliament.
Mr Agyapong allegedly made the comments against the EC Chair while addressing some NPP supporters at Asokwa in Kumasi, the Ashanti Region capital.
He is reported to have said some highly placed officials in government told Charlotte Osei to, “bring your buttocks in exchange for EC Chair position.”
Evelyn Korang, said women in the Region will push for Mr Agyapong to come before Parliament’s Privileges Committee to answer for his allegations.
“We will be on the streets, we will be on our feet until Kennedy Agyapong comes out and apologise,” Mrs Korang told Adom News Correspondent, Maxwell Kudekor.
Although Mr Agyapong says he has evidence to back his claims, the demonstrators say the legislator is not telling the truth.
Meanwhile, Kyedomhene of Efutuakwa Traditional Council in the Central Region, Nana Kwasi Wadie II, has defended the Assin North legislator daring and the EC boss to pursue the case in court if she feels offended. He is one of the few people defending the MP’s comments.
- 18 January 2017 : Luther – Deportee
- 18 January 2017 : Oteneba – Sexy Mama ft. Tuba Zaks (Prod By Drraybeat)
- 18 January 2017 : Wisa Greid – Mintse Bo (I Like Your Style)
- 18 January 2017 : Scata Bada – Chelensa (Prod by QwesiKing)
- 18 January 2017 : OB feat Mr Eazi – Be My Wife (Prod by Killbeatz)
- 18 January 2017 : Pope Skinny – Can You (Prod By Da Maker)
- 18 January 2017 : Koo Ntakra – Girls ft. Yaa Pono (Prod. By HypeLyrix)
- 18 January 2017 : Donzy – Boame (Prod. By Undabeatz) (Prod By Kuslin)
- 18 January 2017 : Okyeame Kwame – Adonko Ft Kwabena Kwabena (Prod By Kuslin)
- 16 January 2017 : Opanka – Man Of The Match (Prod. by Keylex)